The HomeView application was the artefact I developed for my Final Year Project whilst studying on the BSc (Hons) Software Development course at Teesside University. It was written in C# and uses the DirectShow and DirectSound C++ libraries via a wrapper. The application was intended to be a financially inexpensive, surveillance application used in the home. However, additional functionality was added to the original design which allowed the application to be controlled via movement through the kinect.
HomeView utilizes USB Web cameras and transforms them into CCTV cameras. Functionally, it can:
- Display upto 4 live video streams and play 4 live audio streams (only one can be listened to at a time).
- Display motion detection on live video streams.
- Create output files (.AVI) when an ‘incident’ is triggered (either manually or via motion detection).
- Allows review of the incident through the intuitive graphical user interface.
- Provide hands free control through the use of a Kinect device.